Re: [SKOS] thesaurus USE patterns

From: Mark van Assem <mark@cs.vu.nl>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 10:34:04 +0100
To: Johannes Busse <busse@ontoprise.de>
CC: public-esw-thes@w3.org, Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de>

Hi,

> When investigating into various thesaurus formats in the past  I have
> learned that there is a clear distinction between semantic and
> linguistic thesauri. SKOS explicitly was classified being a semantic

I'd say there is only one _type_ of thesaurus: a semantic one. Each
term is a lexicalization of a certain concept; it somehow stands for
or "points at" the concept.

Then there's the _domain_ of the thesaurus, which can be linguistic
(WordNet), art (AAT), medical (MeSH), ...

Mark.

--
  Mark F.J. van Assem - Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
        markREMOVE@cs.vu.nl - http://www.cs.vu.nl/~mark