Re: [SKOS] thesaurus USE patterns

From: Johannes Busse <busse@ontoprise.de>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2007 09:29:03 +0100
To: Mark van Assem <mark@cs.vu.nl>
CC: public-esw-thes@w3.org, Jakob Voss <jakob.voss@gbv.de>

Hi all,

> Having skos:Term allows to represent terms separate from concepts that
> use it. Terms are then roughly equivalent to WordNet's WordSenses and
> concepts to WordNet's Synsets. This allows all kinds of relationships
> between Synsets/concepts (which carry non-lexical meaning) and
> Terms/WordSenses (which do carry lexical meaning).

When investigating into various thesaurus formats in the
past  I have learned that there is a clear distinction
between semantic and linguistic thesauri. SKOS explicitly
was classified being a semantic framework. However, in our
use case we needed both: An automatic Information Extraction
component gives words, and the thesaurus was supposed to
help mapping words to concepts.

I would appreciate a framework where both meta-concepts -
linguistic words or terms and semantic concepts - could be
handled easily. (And if such a solution would be
conceptually aligned to some WordNet meta-concepts it would
make communication even more simple. But that's only a
nice-to-have requirement :-) )

yours
Johannes
--
Dr. Johannes Busse
Amalienbadstraße 36 (Raumfabrik 29); 76227 Karlsruhe