RE: [SKOS] A new proposal for ISSUE-39 ConceptualMappingLinks

From: Miles, AJ \(Alistair\) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 4 Dec 2007 17:26:42 -0000
To: "Antoine Isaac" <aisaac@few.vu.nl>, <public-swd-wg@w3.org>
Cc: <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, <public-swd-wg@w3.org>

Hi all,

Lots of very interesting stuff here!

First, I'd like to try to summarise the minimum consensus position. I.e. what's the least we can agree on? ...

Minimum consensus: Using SKOS, it should be possible to state broader, narrower, related and exact (equivalent) semantic links between concepts from different concept schemes.

Moving beyond this, I think there a number of issues with our current proposals which need further discussion.

I'd like to identify three sub-issues here, which could be discussed independently. I'll try to separate them out here, then respond in more detail to each one in separate mails.

(ISSUE-39A) Should "grouping" constructs for mapping be included, and if so, what are their semantics?

(ISSUE-39B) Is it necessary to have parallel vocabulary (skos:broader // skos:broadMatch etc.)? If not, how do you differentiate between intra-scheme vs. inter-scheme semantic links?

(ISSUE-39C) What's the difference between "related" and "overlapping"? Is there enough precedent to justify a new property for "overlapping"?

Cheers,

Alistair

Research Associate
Science and Technology Facilities Council
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Harwell Science and Innovation Campus
Didcot
Web: http://purl.org/net/aliman