Re: notes at contepts vs notes at terms

In a posting way back on 1 March 2005, I mentioned a couple of problems
with the underlying SKOS model in terms of thesaurus management. The one
issue seems to have attracted a lot of attention ('notes at term level')
and some progress seems to be being made on accommodating that issue.
However I feel I also have to raise again the second problem, that of
semantic associations between non-preferred terms (or tokens as Mark
suggests).

Frequently in multilingual thesauri, we want to capture a relationship of
equivalence between different tokens used as altLabels in different
languages. This feature is frequently used in multilingual thesauri such as
the OECD Macrothesaurus, the ILO Thesaurus or Agrivoc (there are
undoubtedly others, but these are the ones that I know about). In semantic
terms, these altLabel tokens have some close relationship (usually they all
equivalently express an underlying shared concept [1] that has been
specifically excluded from the accepted concepts within the thesaurus
itself, often for reasons of literary warrant). In practical terms, the
different altLabel tokens are then managed together as a single unit: for
example, in doing a translation into a new thesaurus language, there would
be a special effort to try to find an equivalent altLabel in the target
language corresponding to that excluded concept, and in revising or
adapting the thesaurus to local conditions and use, the non-descriptors may
be promoted together to descriptor level (or descriptors demoted to
non-descriptors, while retaining the semantic relationship between the
altLabel tokens that exists in the original descriptor/concept record).

If SKOS is meant to be a way of interoperating for query expansion and
similar kinds of uses, this feature is not (I think) necessary. In fact, in
my personal opinion, I think at this stage we should be keeping SKOS as
simple as possible to promote wide implementation.

However if we talk about SKOS as a way of exchanging thesaurus information
for purposes of thesaurus management (which I know is one of the uses that
Alistair talks about), then it is both a necessary and reasonable
requirement. Otherwise multilingual thesaurus won't be able to use SKOS for
management purposes without a significant loss of information.

I'm hoping that some of the proposals being put forward for accommodating
notes on altLabel tokens will also be able to accommodate this multilingual
requirement.

Ron
[1] Sorry if this use of the word concept offends but I don't know what
other word to use here.