Re: Concept spaces and Namespaces RE: Glossary of terms ...

From: Charles McCathieNevile <charles@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 10:34:43 -0500 (EST)
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Cc: 'Thomas Baker' <thomas.baker@bi.fhg.de>, "Miles, AJ (Alistair)" <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>, public-esw-thes@w3.org

Salut Bernard and all,

I think that it is not a good idea for the SKOS specification to try and
equate a namespace with a set of concepts described as a "scheme". If I want
to create a particular list for a particular purpose, it seems to me that one
of the glories of the RDF-based semantic web is that I can do this simply by
mixing and matching stuff I find, adding my own things only if necessary.

A couple of times I have gone through this exercise in RDF. It is not yet
easy, although tools like Ontaria (which has a smart approach to helping
users) and Swoogle (which has a huge amount of useful data) are starting to
make it a reasonable proposition. I think that we should be encouraging work
in that direction, rather than the continual creation of new URIs that only
serve the purpose of syntactic simplifaction, thus encouraging the
hand-coders at the expense of the tool users (who are the vast majority of
potential users as far as I can tell).

cheers

Chaals