RE: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] Moving semantic relation property exten sions to an 'extensions' vocab.

I thought it might be worth saying a word or two on this ...

Many moons ago (when I was barely a babe in arms) I imagined that there
could be a seamless continuum between thesauri and ontologies, mediated via
RDF, and exploiting the semantics of existing RDF RDFS and OWL terms.

I.e. you could start off with a 'thesaurus-style' description of a set of
resources, and then by simpling adding statements, end up with an ontology.

This idea was behind the description of e.g. 'skos:broaderGeneric' (which
has remained unchanged since first introduced): you can see that this term
is a sub-property of both 'skos:broader' and 'rdfs:subClassOf'.  This means
that, at the moment, if somebody states (X skos:broaderGeneric Y), that
implies both the fuzzy thesaurus style (X skos:broader Y) and the ontology
style statement (X rdfs:subClassOf Y).

Likewise, 'skos:broaderInstantive' is a subprop of both 'skos:broader' and
'rdf:type'.

Then we had a bit of a discussion over a SWAD-E meeting one afternoon, and
it was suggested that actually it is better to keep the two worlds apart -
i.e. you describe a set of *thesaurus* resources using *thesaurus*
predicates, and you describe a set of *ontology* resources using a set of
*ontology* predicates.  The two sets of resources could then be linked via a
special predicate, which we couldn't decide what to call, but is the origin
of danbri's reference to a 'denotes' predicate I think (danbri am I right
there?)  Another suggested name was 'conceptualises' ... i.e. 'thesaurus
resource A *conceptualises* ontology resource B'.

Anyway, the point I want to make is: this whole issue looks like it needs a
lot of discussion.  And the original reasoning behind the 'extension'
properties (i.e. skos:broaderGeneric etc.) may need to be completely
reconsidered.  This is the main reason I proposed to remove them from the
SKOS Core vocab and into a separate 'extensions' vocab for now - so we can
publish an improved SKOS Core guide and spec in the short term, without
getting into a possibly sticky debate about thesaurus -> ontology that may
not get resolved for a while.

Al.

---
Alistair Miles