re: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] Moving semantic relation property exten sions to an 'extensions' vocab.

From: Miles, AJ (Alistair) <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2004 18:38:40 +0100
To: "'public-esw-thes@w3.org'" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>

Any further comments on this proposal?

<http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Aug/0081.html>

I would like to propose that the following properties be removed from
SKOS Core, and be moved to an 'extensions' vocabulary (perhaps under the
namespace <http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/extensions#>?) ...

skos:broaderGeneric
skos:broaderInstantive
skos:broaderPartitive
skos:narrowerGeneric
skos:narrowerInstantive
skos:narrowerPartitive
skos:relatedHasPart
skos:relatedIsPartOf

My reasons are:

(1) These are the least stable parts of SKOS Core, and I don't expect
them to stabilise in the short term (i.e. months).  So they're getting
in the way of publishing short term.
(2) They impinge on the whole 'thesauri -> ontologies' question, which
again I don't think we're going to have an answer for in the next couple
of months.
(3) They clutter up SKOS Core, and distract from its fundamental features.

---
Alistair Miles
Research Associate
CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory