RE: semantic problems?

Hi Leo,

I would do one of the following:

* Option (1) - Pure SKOS

Do everything in just SKOS, and ignore the extended semantics of a project
hierarchy, i.e. ...

ex:Project	skos:prefLabel	'Projects'.

ex:aProj	skos:prefLabel	'ISWC 2004 participation';
			skos:broader	ex:Project.

ex:aSubProj		skos:prefLabel	'Travel to Japan';
				skos:broader	ex:aProj.

* Option (2) - Pure RDFS/OWL

Capture the semantics of the Project hierarchy by defining some classes and
properties, i.e. ...

ex:Project	a	rdfs:Class;
			rdfs:label	'Projects'.

ex:subProjectOf	a	rdf:Property;
					rdfs:label	'sub-project of'.
					rdfs:domain		ex:Project;
					rdfs:range		ex:Project;

... which you can then use to describe instance data, e.g. ...

ex:aProj	a	ex:Project;
			rdfs:label	'ISWC 2004 participation'.

ex:aSubProj		a	ex:Project;
				rdfs:label	'Travel to Japan';
				ex:subProjectOf	ex:aProj.

Tradeoff between two options is convenience versus semantics.

Al.

---
Alistair Miles
Research Associate