Re: Low level API

From: Leonard Will <L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 17:03:46 +0100
To: public-esw-thes@w3.org

In message <EF1C49A3F569D41186C900508B6DDC990C5690B1@ems3.glam.ac.uk> on
Tue, 11 May 2004, "Tudhope D S (Comp)" <dstudhope@glam.ac.uk> wrote
>I think Ron was referring to a "number of levels" parameter in the API
>call (ie in SKOS getConceptRelativesByPath) - a relative number of
>levels (or relationship traversals) from the given concept. It could
>include the whole hierarchy but might not necessarily in some large
>thesaurus applications where you wanted a local context display centred
>around the given concept. Thus 'Level no'. would not need to be stored
>in the thesaurus representation.

Ah, right, that makes sense.

You might want to specify separately "number of levels up" and "number
of levels down", or "up to the top of the tree and down three levels"
from the given concept.

I wanted to make sure that people were not trying to impose some scheme
of absolute levels (though this what the biologists do, labelling levels
as kingdom - phylum - class - order - family . .  etc., which
necessitates awkward interpolations like sub-order and so on).

Leonard
--
Willpower Information       (Partners: Dr Leonard D Will, Sheena E Will)
Information Management Consultants              Tel: +44 (0)20 8372 0092