Re: EOCred: cost of a credential

On 30 January 2018 at 12:02, Phil Barker <phil.barker@pjjk.co.uk> wrote:

> Richard, I think we mostly agree, we are just looking from different
> perspectives.

Good to agree ;-)

> I think we are both saying that organizations providing learning
> opportunities (for simplicity let's say Courses) should give the cost of
> the Course and link to the Credential may be awarded on completing that
> Course, and organizations providing Credentials should give the cost of
> that Credential (and where feasible link to Courses that are suitable).
>
> I am wary about AddregateOffer <http://schema.org/AggregateOffer> because
> it relates to the same item offered by different merchants, not different
> Courses offered by different Colleges.

I think, like much of Schema.org, it is a little looser than that, I could
imagine an AggregateOffer describing:

   - Various routes to obtaining Credential X offered by Organization
   (college)  Y.
   - An AggrigateOffer prepared and shared by Organization Y
   - Various routes to obtaining Credential X offered by various
   organisations.
   - An AggregateOffer prepared by an offer aggregation site, showing the
      market in obtaining credentials.

An addOn <http://schema.org/addOn> offer implies that the addOn *can only
> be obtained *in combination with the base offer. So this is not the case
> when there are a large number of courses that could lead to the Credential.

There is not necessarily a 1-2-1 relationship between *addOn*s and the
Offers they link to.  An organisation could have two specific Credential
Offers (a. Free with certain in-house courses, b. lots of $$ for standalone
purchase). Said organisation could offer 6 courses: 3 which have an addOn
link to the free credential offer; 2 that have an addOn link to the lots of
$$ credential offer and; 1 that has no addOn link (take our course and use
its results to get credential from some other organisation).

> I suggested a while back in this thread that where there is a closely
> associated course offered by the same organization [as offers the
> credential] it may appropriate to use the addOn property to link to this.
> Where a course is normally required in order to gain a credential, but this
> course is not offered by the same organization, then [whatever solution we
> come up with for the use case we have about eligibility requirements]
> should be used.

The offeredBy <http://schema.org/offeredBy> property of Offer (both for the
course and credential) should indicate who is providing the thing being
offered.  You are correct that where these are the same, *addOn* is
probably the best way to tie things together.

~Richard