Re: EOCred: Identifying subtypes of credential

I don't mind how category is described or used, and I like that it is
fairly meaningless in the computer lexicon (unlike type and class, as you
pointed out).

We do have precedence with category in applicationCategory
<http://schema.org/applicationCategory>, category (as you mentioned),
applicationSubCategory <http://schema.org/applicationSubCategory>.

I think to minimize our chance of misuse, calling it credentialCategory
with a definition of:

A URL, term, initialism, or phrase denoting membership in an official set,
group, category or type of credential, for example "Secondary School
Certificate", "MCSE", "Degree".

Having it take a URL, DefinedTerm or String makes sense to me. Feel free to
edit the description to make it less arcane.

--

Note: credentialCategory is disarming to presumptuous software folk like me
who "know what type and class means" and have a tendency not to read