Google.org invests $3.7 million in civic innovation ...

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 15:06:56 -0800 (PST)
To: Steven Clift <clift@e-democracy.org>, "public-egov-ig@w3.org" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>

Re: Google.org invests $3.7 million in civic innovation through  technology - via Sunlight Foundation and mySociety

Getting local, going deep, sharing across communities ... I like it! Congrats
to Sunlight and mySociety, I look forward to how your investments in
civic technology will help local communities everywhere. My measure will be when I see an impact on my hometown of Minneapolis not just those big cities that get all the cool stuff! :-) - Steven Clift, E-Democracy.org

Way back when, the Public Land Survey System (PLSS) used a "digital" units system[*] to make sure not just the big cities got the cool stuff.  If you were following the DKAN presentation, he took the Airports and mapped themto polygons.  So what if Minneapolis was square and had the name "Minneapolis" attached ? ... PLSS.

This data set is at: (name) a sample row is below.  There are 3,592 rows, the data comes from the Census.  The hard part is not decorations like LOC links, but rather pre-sifting which 10 or 15 rows you want. The corresponding "places" table from the Census has 28k + rows. The altitude, Timezone and WX (Nearest Airport) is better to get from the National Weather Service by using the latitude and longitude given.  Since land and water are in both sq mi and sq m, the number of "Townships" (def. 36 sq mi) or "twp" varies.  POP10=2010 Census Pop, HU10=Housing Units.

<row name="http://www.rustprivacy.org/2013/egov/uaa.csv">
  <column name="state_post">OK</column>
  <column name="geo_state">40</column>
  <column name="state_name">Oklahoma</column>
  <column name="loc_gac">http://id.loc.gov/vocabulary/geographicAreas/n-us-ok</column>
  <column name="geoid">36082</column>
  <column name="name">Guthrie, OK Urban Cluster</column>
  <column name="pop10">8191</column>
  <column name="hu10">3711</column>
  <column name="a_land_mi">5.316</column>
  <column name="a_water_mi">0.000</column>
  <column name="twp">0.147667</column>
  <column name="twpm">0.147664</column>
  <column name="lat">35.878387</column>
  <column name="lon">-97.419131</column>