Re: W3C EGOV meeting, Monday 26 November 2012, 9:00 - 10:30 London time

I fail to see how your example is in anyway related to Michael and Brands.

Unless you mean its a good example of 1 or 2 star data?

Based on previous offerings, one would be on their guard about implementing a proposal aiming to provide a mobile application framework served from a URI which has the stated purpose of offering an alternative to the impending new world order where all people throw off the tyrannic shakles of mobile device use...

Sarcasm aside, the whole point of being able to access SOAP or RESTful API's is that you then don't need an appliction template - you utilise responsive design and build a resource which is device agnostic rather than having to create per device applications. Just suck down the data and format it how you like client side.

At any rate, much as I am always looking forward to your next thread hijacking and the inevitable highlighting of an unrelated non-issue:

"<ignoreAtWill>" - Smartest thing you said in there.

Because it made me think in the thread context (as I refocus on Michael and Brand and the topic at hand) that we are only using 1-5 stars and we aren't allowing for a NULL or 0 rating - should we be considering something along the lines of a value which provides a machine readable equiv of

a) "this data should NOT be used - its not even 1 star quality" (e.g. a stable/persistant URI which returns a 40x or 50x response) or no client body,

b) A default rating of NULL (i.e - the resource described has not been rated, us unknown, or cannot be rated)

c) the resource is very useful and of a high quality (5 star) but out of scope (e.g. has a security marking, or is a print resource or is otherwise not machine accessible?

Interested in thoughts as discussions here have highlighted the difference between the rating we might give data and the rating the publisher self evaluates it as.

Or is my concern unfounded?

Cheers

Chris Beer
Sent from Samsung MobileGannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com> wrote:Concrete wording is a binomial with which I have only passing familiarity, as you all know.  Sorry :-)

To the specific example in the example though, perhaps I can point to a useful shortcut.  US NOAA (and the National Weather d wyeService) providevs their forecasts in an XML Format (DWML) and this is split between a timetable and current observations.  This can be un-split and and the timetable reused to provide a framework for apps.  The timetable is one dimensional across Longitudinal lines.  As a practical matter, just having the timetable template available to apps is a leap forward - the immediate future has a namespace.

<ignoreAtWill>
Obviously Temperature is not very smooth along Latitudinal lines, but normally distributed statistics are functional equivilents (a Fourier Transform) of the timetable axis alone.  IMHO, a 16 "day" cycle which avoids phantom tides in the metrics of Social Networks would be a better.  The "Open World Assumption" is not the Sidereal Time assumption, is it ?
</ignoreAtWill>

The service details are here:  http://graphical.weather.gov/xml/

I've made some examples where current observations are stripped and sunrise/sunset merged. I can give links to those, but the "big idea" is seasonal (growing) season dependence overlay for linked data identifiers, which can then be used as persistant.  Timestamps are a lot to inflict on a poor little Smart Phone, I think.

--Gannon