Re: W3C EGOV meeting, Monday 26 November 2012, 9:00 - 10:30 London time

Owen, thank you very much. You¹ve done a very good job and I am very glad
you have found some interesting points on the Decree related to StraML.

This is the first time I participate in this WG so I am not very well aware
about how to proceed so if make any mistakes I apologize for this in
advance.

Regarding your 3 points:

* ³It would be good if such indicators were published in open, standard,
machine-readable StratML Part 2 format.²
Great proposal I agree on it except I do not know the  meaning of last part
of it. I mean the indicators will be published ³in open, standard,
machine-readable format². This format, according to article 7 of this Decree
³shall comply exclusively with what is envisaged regarding standards in
Article 11 of the Royal Decree 4/2010, of 8 January, regulating the Spanish
Interoperability Scheme in the sphere of Electronic Administration, or any
legislation that replaces it, so that they comply in nature of the computer
applications and data to be processed, prioritizing the purpose for which
each format was defined and always avoiding the use of close or private
formats, or which have not been published as open standards and which,
therefore, do not guarantee technological neutrality.². So I think the part
about ³open and standard format² is already covered by the own Decree.

If you go to slide #2 of the presentation I¹ve already submitted to you too,
you will see there are three documents mentioned there and the Decree is
just the first one. There is a second one is an Order (also published by the
Official Bulletin of Basque Government) developing the Decree and setting
the Policy on Openness and Reuse that has a Memorandum, which is the third
document mentioned in this slide, telling the semantic model of the
information to be published in the Repository of Basque Government Open
Applications and states that this information has to be machine readable.

The repository (Openapps.Euskadi.net) is going to be internally introduced
to Basque Government Public Sector this November 28th and it¹s planned to be
on the web by first or second week of December.Unfortunately I can not
provide you yet a copy of the Memorandum in English because we are reviewing
it in order to fix some mistakes we¹ve found on it after the Order was
approved but I hope that in a couple of weeks or son we can do it, including
an RDF description of Open Assets model that we subcontracted to CTIC.³

* Likewise, it would be good if such analysis (reports) were published in
StratML format.²
OK with same additional comments as above.

*  it seems to me the focus of the directive is too much on software
applications and too little on data.  Software programming logic should be
fungible and subject to change, whereas data (records) should be persistent
and based upon open standards (like StratML) S and not be burdened with
*software*

You are right, the Decree is about re-using Source Code Applications and
only talks about Data in article 7 to say what I¹ve already mentioned above
about their formats. Openning Source code is not a goal but a mean to easy
its further re-use. One of the main contributions of this Decree is that
article 5 is about formalizing in a systematic approach the re-use process.
This process was though for Source Code applications re-use but the process
itself can be applied to other Public Sector Information too (i. e. Open
Data can also be scheduled in advance, so the Open Data re-use process can
also be carried out in a similar manner just adapting the meaning of the
Annexes to be provided according to article 5. Including the interesting
point of qualifying every deliverable with its cost (in Euros or in Effort:
Person/months) in order to deal with the economics of re-usability and so
on). Dependencies can be reconsidered to the ones related to the Open Data
re-use process (TBD too at least in a formal or systematic approach) and not
only to the Open Data producing process (TBD too at least in a formal or
systematic approach) or only the Open Data themselves, but I agree it has to
be defined and may be this Working Group can work on it too, I do not know.

In any case, after this Order that approved the Policy described in the
Memorandum, we are not talking only about Open Apps anymore but about Open
Assets (go to slide #9 of the presentation while I provide to you a copy of
the Memorandum), although we always keep an eye on Open Apps due that what
has been regulated by the Decree are Source Code Apps re-use. From then on
you realize that the presentation is about Open Assets and one kind of the
elemental ones are Open Data.

The three abstractions carried out by Open Assets model (see slide #9) have
also benefits that I hope you can find them interesting by you:

The First abstraction is about dealing with Public Sector Information re-use
in the same way independently if they are Data, Reports, Source Code and son
on always following the Linked Data approach, isn¹t it?

The second one is about being able to semantically federate Open Data web
sites and even to consider M2M data exchange without being part of a
repository or taking into account that data can be accessed to/distributed
through a hierarchical complex network of containers. Which is good for a
semantic approach to the Internet of Everything, isn¹t it? However you can
produce a RADion-based model from an Open Assets one in order to have an ad
hoc or less abstract model in which the assets are contained in a repository
(as used to happen in Web 1.0, isn¹t it?)

The third one allows to share and re-use data about processes in general,
not only the re-use one maybe a multimedia-content distribution system could
supported by en implementation following this approach too, isn¹t it?

I hope you see the possibilities that can flourish from Open Assets model
for any kind of asset (including data).

I¹ll talk to you by Monday morning. Best regards,

Serafin Olcoz