Re: what do you mean, e-gov?

From: Steven Clift <clift@e-democracy.org>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2012 14:56:17 -0500
To: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Cc: "eGov IG (Public)" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>, "paoladimaio10@googlemail.com" <paoladimaio10@googlemail.com>, Mick Phythian <mick.phythian@gmail.com>, Brand Niemann <bniemann@cox.net>, Kris Dev <krisdev@gmail.com>
As the one who coined the shortened term "e-democracy" in 1994 before
e-government, e-business, etc. were used, here is what I came up with on
that one:

http://dowire.org/wiki/E-democracy

E-democracy represents the use of information and communication
technologies and strategies by democratic actors within political and
governance processes of local communities, nations and on the international
stage. Democratic sectors/actors include governments, elected officials,
the media, political organizations, and citizen/voters.

To many, e-democracy suggests greater and more active citizen participation
enabled by the Internet, mobile communications, and other technologies in
today’s representative democracy as well as through more participatory or
direct forms of citizen involvement in addressing public challenges.

(Before sharing this definition, I used to simply say "e" or electronic and
any definition of democracy that you use. :-))

Steven Clift
clift@e-democracy.org  - +1 612 234 7072
http://stevenclift.com - @democracy
http://e-democracy.org - @edemo