Re: Remote Participation at TPAC

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2011 13:55:32 -0700 (PDT)
To: Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>, "eGov IG \(Public\)" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Cc: "team-egov-chairs@w3.org" <team-egov-chairs@w3.org>

Hi All,

I'll be participating remotely.

The weather forecast is now in the 7 day window, so I'll put the weather part of my "Personal Regional Address Book of Public Sector Information"[1] web application live.  The data coverage area is Santa Clara County, CA.  For the very short term of TPAC, only some of the links work on the website, but everything works on a local copy (in TPAC.zip).  The purpose is to give small developers hints for direct access methods to the data without a Private Sector Gatekeeper.  The subject is more interesting lately with the successful launch of a European navigation satellite.

The page includes links for Public Sector Information, including:
- Merged Weather and Sun (Civil Twilight) Forecasts.  In the US, the Authorities do not merge these, or have not gotten around to it yet.  It is a logical thing to do since the data is both Multi-National (as in many Nations) and International (everywhere in between, including the "High Seas"[2]).  The merged format (into dwml weather) has XSD validation (the revised schema is in the TPAC.zip file).  There is more weather data available, temperatures, probabilities of precipitation, etc. besides the text forecast shown.

- Santa Clara County runs a Foreign Trade Zone.  Information on the FTZ as well as UN LOCODE data for California is provided.
- Links to datasets of Points of Interest are provided in the following categories ... (Natural Features, Civil Features, Schools and Water Quality Monitoring Stations)
- Current Air Quality status for Santa Clara County.
- direct links to population data and social statistics for California, Santa Clara County and the City of Santa Clara (San Jose is the County Seat).

[1] http://www.rustprivacy.org/2011/phase/tpac2011 or  http://tinyurl.com/tpac2011-egov
[2] http://www.un.int/kamal/information_insecurity/index.htm