Re: W3C eGov: Licensing Discussion

From: Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:47:11 -0800 (PST)
To: "Holm, Jeanne M \(1760\)" <jeanne.m.holm@jpl.nasa.gov>, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org>, "eGov IG \(Public\)" <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Cc: Anne Fitzgerald <am.fitzgerald@qut.edu.au>, Timothy Vollmer <tvol@creativecommons.org>, Sarah Pearson <sarah@creativecommons.org>

In anticipation of ICANN/IANA gTLD's, I did a 10 source* survey of ISO 3166-1 (country code) implementations.  The only recurring theme is that they are all slightly different.  This could be a problem since data.gov.uk should mean the same thing worldwide (even outside the UK).  A full set of possible codes is only 676, although the number used is about 230.  It is very possible to conformance check an assertion about the coding of a domain.

If I understood correctly, the best bet is CC-by, and if the Government of Australia could be prevailed upon to hold the copyright, that would be added assurance against spam (in Australia).  In the US, I'm out of luck.
The sources are here: http://www.rustprivacy.org/cc-survey.pdf
And the data is here: http://www.rustprivacy.org/cc-survey.csv
Any suggestions are welcome, but frankly, this is something Governments need to think about.
--Gannon

# Source
1. ISO 3166-1
2. UN/LOCODES Database
3. NLM Citing Medicine (1997) Appendix D
4. IANA Root Zone Data Base ([A-Z]{2} only)
5. US Census Schedule C / US DHS CBP (note 1)
6. CIA World Factbook A    (note 2)
7. GeoNames (countryinfo.txt)
8. LOC/Marc21 Geography Codes
9. Customs and Trade Automated Interface Requirements (CATAIR)
10. Customs Automated Manifest Interface Requirements (CAMIR)