RE: [WebTech] Types of Online Government Services - Vocabulary

Hello again Chris,

 >>For the purposes of this discussion however, I'd guess that the
Generic process list
(http://doc.esd.org.uk/genericProcessList/1.00.html) is the kind of
general definition of services we're looking at.

I would say that the External Service Subset [1] may be rather closer to
what you are after. Btw, I feel that the Internal Subset may be quite
similar for non-governmental entities.

Now for defining a service, copying from [2] ...

Service Class Comments:

A dcterms:description of the service class is needed. This might
include:

The provision of goods or services by one organisation or individual to
another.

Services are sub-divided to the level a which there is one process for
each service interaction (eg for the provision of information on a
service or for a service application).

Each service transaction (a "case") will have a set of documents which
collectively have one retention requirement.

Each public sector service is delivered under a legal power or duty.

Inevitably, if we want interoperability and data sharing between
different systems/countries we will need a minimum common
definition/model/vocabulary/ontology (you choose!) for describing a
Public Service. This need is explained at [3] and perhaps in what the
esd website slightly differently says here [4] ...

the Service List includes concepts of the type defined by esd as service
a Service class <http://def.esd.org.uk/ServiceClass> . These classes may
have extra properties beyond those that apply to every SKOS concept

These "extra properties" may look e.g. like [5] [6] or [7].

So concluding I would say we are rather discussing two things:

a)      ways to categorize/cluster public services in meaningful sets

b)     what a public service is (its ontological representation)

There may be implicit links between the two...

Regards,

Vassilios

[1] http://doc.esd.org.uk/lgsl/3.07/laexternalservices.html

[2] http://doc.esd.org.uk/ServiceClass.html#/?tab=data-resource-comments

[3]
http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Use_Case_9_-_Common_Service_Model

[4] http://doc.esd.org.uk/#/data-lgbm?tab=data-linkeddata

[5] http://195.251.218.37/govml/?q=node/4

[6]
http://www.egovpt.org/fg/CWA_version_3?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=C
EN-ISSS_eGov-Share_CWA_v3_Part_1a_20081010.pdf

[7] http://doc.esd.org.uk/Default.aspx#/?tab=data-lgbm