Re: Translating Publishing Open Government Data

From: Antti Poikola <antti.poikola@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:31:32 +0200
To: Jose Manuel Alonso <josema.alonso@fundacionctic.org>
CC: Antti Poikola <antti.poikola@gmail.com>, Daniel Dietrich <daniel@opendata-network.org>, daniel@citizencontact.com, w3c-translators@w3.org, public-egov-ig@w3.org
Hi,
> What kind of CC? Why do you think it's restrictive?
>
> The copyright notice is here:
> http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#Copyright
>
> I don't believe it's restrictive. It's probably quite like a CC-BY-ND.

For me it was mentally restrictive because I, as typical internet user,
don't click many links and go deep into the licence documents. I made my
fast probaply errorneus judgement after reading this:

Copyright <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#Copyright>
2009 W3C <http://www.w3.org/>^ (MIT <http://www.csail.mit.edu/>, ERCIM
<http://www.ercim.org/>, Keio <http://www.keio.ac.jp/>), All Rights
Reserved. W3C liability
<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#Legal_Disclaimer>,
trademark <http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/ipr-notice#W3C_Trademarks>
and document use
<http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Legal/copyright-documents> rules apply.

It says "All Rights Reserved", so I made the assumption thet the link
leeds to some typically restrictive copyright notice. Creative Commons
licences are well known and give the immediate idea that this is not
meant to be restricted.

This is a sort of usability issue with copyright notices.

-Antti