Re: Defining "Open" Data (was RE: no F2F3 in 2009 -- Re: Agenda, eGov IG Call, 11 Nov 2009)

> On 12.11.2009, at 21:04, Brian Gryth wrote:
>> From this discussion, it appears that there are three basic issues:
>>
>> 1) Access (i.e. whether there is a cost related to getting the data)
>> 2) Rights (i.e. copyright and other legal obligations or privileges)
>> 3) Format/medium (i.e. electronic human-readable, electronic machine-readable, or paper)

Access rights, i.e. 1 and 2, should be dealt by existing technical or
business plumbing. To break up 3 and keep the interesting parts, it
largely makes sense (IMHO) to look at it from one of:

a) A licensing/rights perspective, as some licenses may have rules
related to the distribution medium used. This is covered by 2 and is an
area largely covered by other efforts.

b) Presentation/style/transformation perspective which is also covered
by state of the art.

c) XML accessibility, design and versioning issues - lots of useful
material on these exists already.

d) An ontology or more generic information modeling perspective.

Overall the domain of interest here draws people with diverse
perspectives, knowledge, experiences and focus. I'm very new to this
list but it seems like the group as a whole understands the complexity
involved, moving with some hesitation (and individuals with excessive
politeness), as if some principles may disturb others.

Of course the second charter just got approved and people in here
haven't had enough interactivity to collectively reach some solid
overlap in goals. It is encouraging to see the discussion is widely
scoped and allows many different perspectives to blend in.

I'm certain the process will work and I'm very excited with so many
different people here to learn from.

Cheers,

Manos

--