Re: charter and publication wrt W3C Process

El 23/05/2009, a las 0:59, Anne Washington escribió:
> Are we making standards or recommending standards or suggesting ways
> to implement standards? What is our product? Daniel, Adam, Sharron,
> and Owen bring up some interesting points.

Yup, that's the question plus who are the stakeholders.

> Making a W3C standard is an arduous process and outside the scope of
> an W3C IG Interest Group.
>
> By recommending standards, I mean suggesting which existing
> standards would best fit a particular situation. A formal W3C
> recommendation is only within scope for a W3C WG(Working Group)
> which is possible to charter, if I understood correctly.

Yes, we can decide to propose W3C re-charter us as WG. I would like to
highlight that most of the mechanisms we have used already, even
opening our draft note for comments, are the ones used by WGs, so WG
work would not differ much from work as we know it although we would
need to follow a few procedures more.

>  We not only say what standards are out there, but provide the
> recipe for combining the standards into a palatable dish.

Yes! and also try to fill gaps (if we decide and are able to) or
delegate to others that could do.

> Jose's example of the Mobile Web Best Practices is technically a
> "W3C recommendation" and a best practices document. Its specificity
> is its beauty. If we created a recommendation like that, we'd have
> to narrow down to a very particular topic: such as "Citation Best
> Practices" or "Data Discovery Best Practices".
>
> The third possibility is suggesting ways to implement standards. It
> would be more of an if-then rubric for multiple situations. This is
> the challenge with egovernment. There are a variety of
> organizational, technical and client possibilities. Our howto
> suggestions would need apply to many possible topics and situations.
>
> I am hoping that the next product(s) could go both broad and deep.
> We need a few focused best practice documents (i.e. recommendation)
> as well as something more broad to address the larger egovernment
> audiences.

Rewritten or v2.0 of the note could be the broad product while those
BPs could be the smaller docs. I think we need a few very focused
areas for those as you mention above, with enough interest for
stakeholders to use hem and for group members to produce them.

-- Jose