W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-egov-ig@w3.org > July 2009

[minutes] eGov IG Call -- 22 July 2009

From: Jose M. Alonso <josema@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jul 2009 01:07:17 +0200
Message-Id: <AF602797-B133-421F-AE19-5A6CAE76F93B@w3.org>
To: eGov IG <public-egov-ig@w3.org>
Hi group,

Minutes are available online at:

   http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes

and as text below.

Thanks Brand and John for scribing. I mixed offline minutes taken by  
Brand, notes on IRC, and John's scribing for the last part. Hope I  
didn't make many mistakes.

Next meeting: August, 19th. Please, suggest agenda items in advance.

Cheers,
Jose.


-----------------------------------


    [1]W3C

       [1] http://www.w3.org/

                                - DRAFT -

                              eGov IG Call

22 Jul 2009

    [2]Agenda

       [2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-egov-ig/2009Jul/0011

    See also: [3]IRC log

       [3] http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-irc

Attendees

    Present
           Josema, AdamHarvey, hughb, rachel, Owen, kevin, brand,
           Daniel_Bennett, john

    Regrets
    Chair
           kevin, john

    Scribe
           brand, john

Contents

      * [4]Topics
          1. [5]Agenda adjustments and next meetings
          2. [6]Data.gov.* memo
          3. [7]Charter and Plan
          4. [8]eGov/Comm Planning Calls
          5. [9]What's going on
      * [10]Summary of Action Items
      _________________________________________________________



    <hughb> josema: +073411 is me

    <kevin> ouch what is the noise?

    <hughb> squealing noise?

    <kevin> sounds like a vacuum cleaner

    <hughb> kevin: yes

    <josema> and zakim cannot identify where it's coming from :(

    <hughb> could be my handset

    <hughb> let me unplug the headset

    <josema> I suggest all to hung up and re-start the call

    <hughb> was me

Agenda adjustments and next meetings

    <josema> [11]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Scribe_List

      [11] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Scribe_List

    <josema> [12]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Teleconferences

      [12] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Teleconferences

    <josema> [13]http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc

      [13] http://www.w3.org/2001/01/cgi-irc

    <AdamHarvey> I wish I could scribe, but I field questions from my
    boss and coworkers during the meetings... sorry guys

    <josema> scribe: josema

    [brand is scribing offline]

    [just summarized stuff in here, to be mixed after the meeting]

    Jose: Next Meeting

    Kevin: Need to meet during summer or extend out?

    Daniel: What needs to be done?

    Kevin: ETF has completed the charter for review by management. Jose
    has submitted the activity plan so some time in late August. Com
    Team is getting the message out. Where are we on rewriting the
    issues paper?

    Kevin: Taking notes offline? Email

    Brand: Yes

    Rachel: On vacation for several weeks

    Kevin: So 2nd week in August?

    Several: Okay

    Jose: August 19th?

    All: Yes

Data.gov.* memo

    [14]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Data-gov-memo

      [14] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/IG/wiki/Data-gov-memo

    <Daniel_Bennett> fyi- Tim O'Reilly interview on WAMU about eGov
    [15]http://wamu.org/programs/kn/09/07/21.php#27051

      [15] http://wamu.org/programs/kn/09/07/21.php#27051

    Kevin: Data.gov Memo. Lots of discussion on list serv. Jose's status

    Jose: See discussion of document in wike - many comments - becoming
    long document - nice with different views. Timing for the document
    not dicussed - just brainstorming. Get idea of the big picture of
    putting gov data on line. Lots of questions on this document -
    complimenatry to TBL document?, etc. What to do?

    Daniel: Sounds like no deadline.

    [discussing timeline and window of opportunity]

    [maybe O'Reilly Summit as milestone?]

    [16]O'Reilly Gov 2.0 Summit]

      [16] http://www.gov2summit.com/

    Jose: complimenatry to TBL document?, etc. Need to have goals

    Daniel: What some guidelines.

    Jose: What Year 2 should look like. Some governments belive in
    Linked Data and others don't know what it is.
    ...Focus on former - so how to do it. eGov IG how to do it - more
    from policy than technical

    Rachel: Another good opportunity to promote W3C expertise.

    Jose: Deliverables from Charter 1. Can release the Data.gov memo

    Daniel: Timing of release - before Data.gov Summit or after?

    Kevin: Agree with logic. DC shuts down in August. September gives us
    more time before Gov 2.0 Conference

    Daniel: So have one more meeting - not enough time for ETF?

    Rachel: By end of August? Sure! (Assumes a short document - several
    pages)

    Kevin: Like Eric @ W3C had done - what opportunities and solutions
    are.

    Daniel: Needs charts and diagrams.

    Jose: Content is good but needs graphics. Who will do this?

    Daniel: Oversee this and make diagrams.

    Adam: I volunteer if you pick the content to be grahics.

    Daniel: I will help Adam.

    Adam: Sounds great.

    Jose: Mumbling (in spanish :)

    Daniel: Finished Agenda item

    [adam, daniel volunteered to draw some diagrams for the memo]

    <scribe> ACTION: adam to draft diagrams for the data.gov.* memo
    [recorded in
    [17]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action01]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-77 - Draft diagrams for the data.gov.*
    memo [on Adam Harvey - due 2009-07-29].

    <scribe> ACTION: daniel to draft diagrams for the data.gov.* memo
    [recorded in
    [18]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action02]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-78 - Draft diagrams for the data.gov.*
    memo [on Daniel Bennett - due 2009-07-29].

    LOL!

    <AdamHarvey> I'll work with Daniel on that too.

    Kevin: What ETF did

    Jose: Who will take lead on content of document itself?

    Daniel: Okay

    Jose: Look at content and improve

    Daniel: Use same tool as for action items. See items that need
    discussions and post them for dicussion before August 19th deadline

    Several: Okay

Charter and Plan

    Rachel: Reviewed draft - broke document into three sections and
    editied for Plain Language and assembled - Jose meshed it together
    at end.

    HUgh: Missed

    Rachel: Did a great job

    Hugh: [Missed]

    Rachel: Need to allow more time

    Hugh: Jose made a few changes

    Jose: Reasons for changes - a template to follow - had to change
    that and move around text to other sections - left HTML code the
    same

    Hugh: Just structured changes - problem with the editiors

    Jose: Missed - 2nd step to reach some flexibility. Then sent to W3M
    chaired by Rob S? review chanter and provide comments - received
    many comments and had to respond - see first reviewer comments -
    promising things in one section and then another - content
    essentially the same

    Kevin: Need to recognize what those changes are

    Jose: Can see different versions of document - need W3C tools (?)
    How to do it? W3C System is ??-based so have history but only
    accessible to W3C staff - could get access - waiting for comments
    from 2nd reviwer

    Kevin: Need to digest what those changes are

    Rachael: So can do better next time

    Kevin: So next time know what to do better

    Jose: Slow month at W3C - see what can do - see some and then more

    Several: Okay

    Kevin: Move on

    Jose: Any questions on plan, etc. Need to see comments from
    Activitiy Committee - they know the value

    Kevin: Member of the AC and Brand as well so can help. Last year
    little change

    <scribe> ACTION: daniel to draft memo text based on what is there
    already [recorded in
    [19]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action03]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-79 - Draft memo text based on what is
    there already [on Daniel Bennett - due 2009-07-29].

    <scribe> ACTION: adam to draft memo text based on what is there
    already [recorded in
    [20]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action04]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-80 - Draft memo text based on what is
    there already [on Adam Harvey - due 2009-07-29].

    <john> Hi Hugh! Great work :)

    <Daniel_Bennett> thanks Hugh

    [21]http://www.w3.org/2009/06/eGov/ig-charter

      [21] http://www.w3.org/2009/06/eGov/ig-charter

    <john> Josema is explaining the ideosyncracies of W3C

    <hughb> better understanding of exact requirements would help
    streamline the process

    <john> josema is the only person who understands the W3C processes
    amongst us - it's byzantine

    <scribe> ACTION: josema to produce HTML diff so IG could see W3M
    Review changes [recorded in
    [22]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action05]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-81 - Produce HTML diff so IG could see W3M
    Review changes [on Josť Manuel Alonso - due 2009-07-29].

    <john> sounds great

    <john> and me

eGov/Comm Planning Calls

    <hughb> bye!

    <AdamHarvey> Goodnight Hugh!

    <john> thanks hugh!

    thanks hugh!

    [kevin, josema review current activities, some media opportunities,
    events]

    [that are being regularly reviewed with Comm/Edelman]

    Kevin: Jose, John, Karen, etc. meeting every 1-2 weeks to discuss
    communication plan - submitted to Lisa Nelson to GSA Newsletter -
    waiting for feedback and incorporate in White paper. Jose comment
    about?

    Jose: Rachel join us in a meeting about ETF work - they will be here
    to help us - have regular conference call (one today) a number of
    things comming up - agenda for today? desig Web page to be more
    appealing

    Kevin: Add more - Vera pursuing more interest in GovTech article -
    out of focus for what we are doing - did respond with what we are
    doing for Data.gov and Recovery.gov - what gove to continue efforts
    - use open web standards for improving current and future web access
    - another article - contacted reported and made aware of W3C OLD
    activity - other contacts with interest - Kren doing a great job
    Michele ? continuing audt of Web site - more that wiki page - what
    we are indeed doing. Jose

    question: Any web designers that can develop it?

    Daniel: Where will this show up? A W3C offshoot. Deal with Content
    Management

    Kevin: More a resources page that will sit off W3C infrastructures.
    Still have blog in mind. Get this up before we start doing this.

    Jose: Lost contact. What we should do in terms of look and feel -
    new W3C web site (

    Kevin: latter in the fall) Daniel (?) working on design with new
    tools

    Daniel: Looking at code (PHP tool) trying to figure it out.

    Jose: What do do about new eGov Page ...

    Kevin: Trying to roll out higher level site - could be spring before
    done - looking for it sooner

    Jose: Right

    Jose: Not sure of timeline for new eGov Web page - Michele doing it
    and discuss on call today - wait for results.
    ...Adam look at what trying to do and estimate time, etc.

    Adam: Maybe Daniel as well.

    Kevin: Working ...

    <AdamHarvey> I'll help with design. I can't develop though

    This will replace the current [23]http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/

      [23] http://www.w3.org/2007/eGov/

    see beta W3C site look and feel: [24]http://beta.w3.org/

      [24] http://beta.w3.org/

    <Daniel_Bennett> looks like this is being used
    [25]http://www.smarty.net/

      [25] http://www.smarty.net/

    <john> for the start of new charter?

    <Daniel_Bennett> for beta.w3.org

    <AdamHarvey> Yup, I'm listening

    <john> I will

    <scribe> scribe: john

    <josema> ACTION: daniel to take a look at eGov home design [recorded
    in [26]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action06]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-82 - Take a look at eGov home design [on
    Daniel Bennett - due 2009-07-29].

    <josema> yup

    <josema> ACTION: adam to take a look at eGov home design [recorded
    in [27]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action07]

    <trackbot> Created ACTION-83 - Take a look at eGov home design [on
    Adam Harvey - due 2009-07-29].

What's going on

O'Reilly Summit

    Kevin: O'Reilly summit - case studies submitted by Daniel and John.
    Also submitted panel idea
    ... waiting for outcomes of those submissions. Fingers crossed.

    <AdamHarvey> Any chance there are extra invites to the Summit? I've
    never heard back from them.

    <josema> adam, I think kevin's the man; we'll ask Edelman again
    later today, I think word was we won't hear from O'Reilly folks
    until early August?

    <josema> I wonder if group heard of "our" presence at NYC hearing by
    the time... [28]http://www.w3.org/QA/2009/07/data_in_the_city

      [28] http://www.w3.org/QA/2009/07/data_in_the_city

PdF

    Rachel: had conversations with folk, frustrated by statutory
    requirements. Great to talk to passionate people, who want to make
    gov on the web better
    ... lots of volunteer activity by people who want to help make gov
    on the web better. Good atmosphere, exciting times.

    Daniel: concurs with Rachel; big difference from last year,
    government folks more engaged. Clear leadership coming from top of
    Fed Gov
    ... but a focus on web standards seems missing - that's the
    opportunity for us. Vivek Kundra did a great job.

    Rachel: missed unveiling of IT dashboard

    <josema> oh, no... so sorry!

    Rachel: there was lots of whooting

    Aside: this is so American - all this shouting and yelling. You
    guys! ;)

    Rachel: represenatatives of federal web managers council will be
    joining CIO Council

    Kevin: good to hear

    Rachel: An exciting time to be in government

    Kevin: anybody at OGI conference today and yesterday?

    [no response]

EUPS20

    <josema> [29]http://eups20.wordpress.com/

      [29] http://eups20.wordpress.com/

    Josema: a group of 8-10 people led by David Osimo
    ... idea is, instead of a Ministerial declaration, do something
    else: put meat into the thinking.

    <josema> [30]http://eups20.uservoice.com/

      [30] http://eups20.uservoice.com/

    Josema: project is on same lines as open gov initiative in US, using
    the uservoice platform
    ... opened for ideas, ended a week ago

    <Daniel_Bennett> go jose!!!

    Josema: many ideas, most voted was open government data
    ... many other ideas were about OGD

    <josema> [31]http://mixedink.com/Eups20/Transparentgovernment

      [31] http://mixedink.com/Eups20/Transparentgovernment

    Josema: now gathering most compelling ideas, for presenting to
    commission for ministerial declaration
    ... produce a doc that can be attached to declaration
    ... social media tools helped build engagement
    ... project was a good experience

data.gov.uk

    John: Publishing on data.gov.uk

    Jose: Public info?

    John: Data is on the Web. Will post a link to see.

    <john> [32]http://transport.data.gov.uk/0/id/road/M5 or
    [33]http://services.data.gov.uk/sparql

      [32] http://transport.data.gov.uk/0/id/road/M5
      [33] http://services.data.gov.uk/sparql

    Jose: So it is now public

    <Daniel_Bennett> oooh secret gov. data

    <Daniel_Bennett> hmmmm. rdf data

    <josema> congrats!!!

    John: Not announced, but not a secret - it is an example

    Kevin: Congrats

    John: have quite a lot more and hopefully people will pay attention

    Kevin: Okay to point to at Semantic Web Meetup on Thursday night?

    John: Yes, and lots more coming. Took quite a big data set and did
    very quickly

    Kevin: Anything else? Okay that is is. Jose anything else? Scribe
    for next meeting on the 19th.

    Daniel: Volunteers

    Kevin: Talk to you soon. Thank you.

    <AdamHarvey> +1 to reconvene on August 19

    <josema> next meeting: Aug, 19th

    <josema> next scribe: daniel

    <AdamHarvey> Thanks Daniel.

    Daniel: I'll scribe

    <josema> [ADJOURNED]

    <AdamHarvey> hasta luego!

Summary of Action Items

    [NEW] ACTION: adam to draft diagrams for the data.gov.* memo
    [recorded in
    [34]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action01]
    [NEW] ACTION: adam to draft memo text based on what is there already
    [recorded in
    [35]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action04]
    [NEW] ACTION: adam to take a look at eGov home design [recorded in
    [36]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action07]
    [NEW] ACTION: daniel to draft diagrams for the data.gov.* memo
    [recorded in
    [37]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action02]
    [NEW] ACTION: daniel to draft memo text based on what is there
    already [recorded in
    [38]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action03]
    [NEW] ACTION: daniel to take a look at eGov home design [recorded in
    [39]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action06]
    [NEW] ACTION: josema to produce HTML diff so IG could see W3M Review
    changes [recorded in
    [40]http://www.w3.org/2009/07/22-egov-minutes.html#action05]

    [End of minutes]
      _________________________________________________________


     Minutes formatted by David Booth's [41]scribe.perl version 1.135
     ([42]CVS log)
     $Date: 2009/07/23 23:01:30 $

      [41] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/~checkout~/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm
      [42] http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/
Received on Thursday, 23 July 2009 23:07:59 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Thursday, 23 July 2009 23:07:59 GMT