Re: Public Data Catalog Priorities and Demand

From: Jonathan Gray <jonathan.gray@okfn.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2009 16:37:20 +0000
To: Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de>
Cc: Antti Poikola <antti.poikola@gmail.com>, Steven Clift <clift@e-democracy.org>, public-egov-ig@w3.org, sunlightlabs@groups.google.com, OKFN Help <okfn-help@lists.okfn.org>
Excellent - this looks great. I guess one of the main features I'd
really like to see in CKAN is one that Delicious currently has, which
allows you to query for, e.g. 'open data':

Then add 'statistics':

Then add 'uk':

I think this is a really nice way of browsing, allowing for
serendipitous discovery (with suggestions of related tags on the right
hand side) as well as a simple URL structure.

Best wishes,

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Richard Cyganiak <richard@cyganiak.de> wrote:
> Hi Jonathan,
> On 21 Dec 2009, at 10:24, Jonathan Gray wrote:
>> FYI, we are currently looking at different ways of visually
>> representing the CKAN data (for data.gov.uk) - from tag clouds to
>> faceted browsing.
> Small aside: We have a simple faceted browser over the data.gov catalog,
> based on Simile Exhibit. It might give you a general idea of the experience
> of faceted browsing over a data catalog. It's here:
> http://lab.linkeddata.deri.ie/data.gov/
> Back to lurk mode...
> Richard
> --
> Linked Data Technologist  Linked Data Research Centre
> Digital Enterprise Research Institute (DERI), NUI Galway, Ireland
> http://linkeddata.deri.ie/
> skype:richard.cyganiak
> tel:+353-91-49-5711

Jonathan Gray