Re: [dxwg] Related vocabularies mapping [RVM]

> On 12 Mar 2018, at 22:13, Rob Atkinson <rob@metalinkage.com.au> wrote:
>
> @larsgsvensson asked "Can you expand a bit on VoID not being only for RDF? Given the [definition](https://www.w3.org/TR/void/#dataset <https://www.w3.org/TR/void/#dataset>) "A dataset is a set of RDF triples that are published, maintained or aggregated by a single provider", I'd say that VoID is _only_ about RDF triples..."
>
> Several years ago I had a conversation with one of the authors Richard Cygniak (it was when I was at CSIRO and I dont have access to the mail thread any more).
>
> My Use Case was describing datasets that are not _currently_ published as RDF, but that in an evolving Linked Data environment would ideally be, so we could kick start the process of providing fine grained semantics about data and services. I asked whether there is a need for a dataset to be stored as RDF - and if merely capable of being expressed as RDF was sufficient. From memory Richard C confirmed that this was a reasonable interpretation.

In my opinion one of the good features of DCAT is the separation between dataset as an abstract entity and its concrete distribution. By allowing multiple distributions for a single dataset it seems to me that DCAT already assumes that the data are not expressed only in RDF.