Re: [dxwg] Best practice for a loosely-structured catalog

From: Jakub Klímek via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 16 Jul 2018 09:12:41 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@dr-shorthair This is interesting, and I think it is not OK. This leads to the question of whether `dcat:Distribution`s can exist independently of datasets - i.e. distributions which are no part of any dataset. I would say they cannot... they are by definition distributions of a dataset.

Next question is, whether your referenced files are distributions of another dataset and if so, which one? But then `dcterms:references` and `dcterms:isFormatOf` would connect a dataset to another dataset's distribution, which I think is not right.

Or, the example needs to be expanded, and these relations would connect to a dataset, which would have to have a distribution, like this:
```turtle
<dataset> dcterms:references [ a dcat:Dataset;
      dcat:distribution [
        dcterms:identifier "timescale.zip" ;
        dcterms:license <https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/> ;
        dcat:accessURL <https://data.csiro.au/dap/landingpage?pid=csiro:33937> ;
        dcat:mediaType <https://www.iana.org/assignments/media-types/application/zip>
        ]
    ] ;
```

Regarding the `isFormatOf` relation, since it is defined as `A related resource that is substantially the same as the described resource, but in another format.`, I would see this as a relation between two distributions (those have formats), not datasets, which are independent of formats.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by jakubklimek
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/253#issuecomment-405188657 using your GitHub account