[dxwg] Are inference rules constraints that must be followed by profiles?

From: Rob Sanderson via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2018 21:11:16 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
azaroth42 has just created a new issue for https://github.com/w3c/dxwg:

== Are inference rules constraints that must be followed by profiles? ==

For example, PROV-O has a long document of inference rules, including one that we ran into in the Annotation WG when trying to use `generatedBy`:
  https://www.w3.org/TR/prov-constraints/#generation-generation-ordering_text

The side effects of this rule on an otherwise very useful term meant that we felt it was not usable by us, and we had to look for a different term. Should profiles also be required to recognize inference rules?

I propose that they should, based on the discussion on the call 2018-07-03 where we discussed a definition of profile that it must only further constrain and not expand the definition of the terms that it includes.  The implication is that already very constrained vocabularies and models, such as PROV-O, are significantly less likely to be used in profiles for fear of running into unexpected inferences.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/294 using your GitHub account