Re: [dxwg] Profile definition [RPFDF]

From: Simon Cox via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2018 00:54:53 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
The definition of 'profile' says ["A profile is a named set of constraints on one or more identified base specifications ..."](https://w3c.github.io/dxwg/profiles/#Introduction). However, the heritage of the various *DCAT-APs and the tenor of much of our discussion is that a _profile_ has just one (main?) dependency, typically DCAT - e.g. @nicholascar wrote ["we say that a Profile is a profile of something else"](https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/195#issuecomment-381402078). The word 'profile' pulls you that way, but we should be careful to not exclude the compilation of standards that have multiple dependencies.

FWIW A decade back OGC developed a model for 'modular specifications' which focussed primarily on recording the dependencies. Dependencies are between modules within a specification (aka standard) or across specifications, each of which groups a set of normative requirements into a convenient grouping, so dependencies are at a convenient granularity.

See [Configuration management of a system of interdependent standards](https://doi.org/10.1109/SIIT.2011.6083604) and [The Specification Model — A Standard for Modular specifications](https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/34762) for more detail

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/72#issuecomment-382207466 using your GitHub account