RE: Start of profiles analysis page - 2nd reply

On Wednesday, December 06, 2017 11:44 PM, Karen Coyle [mailto:kcoyle@kcoyle.net] wrote:

> On 12/6/17 2:28 PM, Ruben Verborgh wrote:
> >> Unfortunately, the majority case appears to be that profiles are not
> >> created by coders. A look at the current generation of profiles shows
> >> that they are Word or PDF documents, most likely written by folks who
> >> are knowledgeable of the semantics of their community's metadata but who
> >> do not themselves write code.
> >
> > They can keep on writing Word and PDF documents;
> > but we cannot expect all of them to write RDF documents.
> >
> > So they might be able to define profiles in human-readable ways,
> > but not necessarily the formal specifications to validate them.
>
> Actually,this is the advantage of CVSW - Most of them can understand and
> use spreadsheets, and from those spreadsheets the CVSW -> JSON-LD/RDF
> works. The idea is to give those folks a transitional technology, not to
> leave them in the dust. In my mind, these are the primary audience for
> application profiles.

Is that the primary audience for reading or writing Aps?

And I think we should try not only to look at application profiles for data encoded in RDF, but also using other technologies (e. g. XML or perhaps even CSV [is it possible to have a profile for statistical data that specifies that e. g. every row is a day in a month (encoded using ISO format), the first column is precipitation in mm/m2, the second is temperature in degrees Celcius at 06:00, the third at 12:00 etc. so that applications will notice when the CSV format is changed?]).