RE: NY Property Tax Explorer

From: Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 09:30:11 +0100
To: "'DWBP WG'" <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>

> Anyone publishing tabular data in a PDF really needs to have a word with
> themselves.

Can we maybe try not to get into these kinds of absolute, unqualified
statements?

I agree that if someone has tubular data and creates a PDF that contains
only a table with just that table is not doing anyone a service. However, if
such a table is included in a document that contains explanations and
analysis of the data, aimed at a human readership, I don't think PDF is a
bad choice. Of course, the data in the table should be published in a better
machine-readable format alongside the PDF. What I would not want to see is
that we encourage service providers to publish data only as CSV and
discontinue publication of any human-readable information.

As Annette says, it depends on the intention.

Makx.