From: Annette Greiner [amgreiner@lbl.gov]

Sent: 12 August 2015 20:11

To: Phil Archer

Cc: CARRASCO BENITEZ Manuel (DGT); public-dwbp-wg@w3.org

Subject: Re: Data Identification section (was Re: reviewing the BP doc)

On Aug 12, 2015, at 7:56 AM, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:

* ?R?

URI, URL, URN, IRI. Just use URI everywhere and add something like:

  "In this specification, the term URI is used for the identification schemes: URI, URL, URN and IRI ..."

This is line with the recommendation in RFC3986

  " ... Future specifications and related documentation should use the general term "URI" rather than the more restrictive terms "URL" and "URN" ..."

But
 we *want* to be restrictive. We're only talking about HTTP URIs, we're not talking about URNs, or even URLs. Hence I think we need to say something, no?

Funny, I take the fact that we want to be restricted to discussing URIs as a reason *not* to add a discussion about them vs. URNs or URLs. The fact that we use a term in our document doesn’t mean that we have to define it. It is defined elsewhere in W3C
 space plenty. Our document is already annoyingly long; let’s help readers get to what is helpful information and leave out discussion that is not unique to publishing data on the web.

--

Annette Greiner

NERSC Data and Analytics Services

Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory