RE: COMURI

In relation to Tomas' proposal COMURI, I'd like to raise an issue with
what he calls "Common sense URIs: human and machine friendly, compact,
simple, and with mnemonics".

Having worked in several projects looking at URI guidelines, I am
starting to question whether a requirement that URIs should be
'human-friendly' makes sense at all.

I see three arguments against that requirement:

1.  URIs are mainly for machines. Most URIs will appear in metadata
statements like

dcterms:publisher <http://purl.org/dc/aboutdcmi#DCMI> ;

Statements like these will be used by software (e.g. harvester, indexer)
that will do a GET on the URI and then do something with the data that
comes back. If the program wants to show something to a human user, it
will probably show the data that sits behind the URI rather than the URI
itself. So I would think that a normal user will never see the URI
(except developers who use debuggers to see what happens behind the
scenes)

2.  I don't think normal users will ever want to type in URIs. Even now,
I see no-one who types in full URL in the address bar of the browser.
Does anyone in the group ever type in
https://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/wiki/Main_Page? I guess not; either you
have a bookmark, or you search for "w3c dwbp". I know people who go to
facebook every day and always type in "facebook" in the search box, then
click twice (once to search, once on the first hit); it's more
efficient: they hit ten keys that way, rather than the 13 keys to type
in "facebook.com <enter>". There is even a rumour that Google is
considering to suppress the URL completely from the address bar in
Chrome. And if someone does put a full URL in the address bar, it is
always through cut and paste.

3.  And a real problem is that as soon as you talk to people about
human-friendly URIs, they immediately want to include semantics in the
URI (organisational branding, collection names, concept names, resource
types) -- and I strongly agree with Dan Brickley who wrote
(https://www.w3.org/wiki/User:Rcygania2/RulesOfThumb#Namespace_URIs)
First rule of namespace URI design "you're more likely to regret things
you included, than things you omitted".

So I would say that making URIs human-friendly only benefits a very
small set of use cases and in some cases creates more problems than it
solves.

Makx.