Re: COMURI

Hello everyone,

After the detailed work from Manuel and the thorough reviews from other
team members, before going into any further detailed review I would like
also to call your attention to some sort of general issue I see with the
document.

The main question here for me is that the purpose of the document may not
be really clear. The document starts with a "comuris" definition, but I
don't see where the connection with data on the web is made there or
elsewhere or how several of the recommendations that are being made
throughout the document are applicable.

Personally, I was expecting something more in the lines of guidelines or
best practices when it comes to the definition of identification schemes
(ie URI schemes in the case of the Web), but here we are even we made some
recommendations in the opposite direction e.g. "Comuri avoids cluttering
with metadata, taxonomy, semantics and similar... The amount of metadata
that can be encoded into a URI is limited before the URI becomes too
cumbersome: a better approach is to get the metadata in human and machine
readable format." or when we talk about "data archival" in opposition to
persistence.

Also, given that the document introduces so many new terms and definitions,
it is somehow difficult to follow and understand. Even sometimes it looks
like we are trying to "redefine" other well-stablished concepts ("rewriting
of existing terms" is explicitly mentioned) such as in the case of "direct
identification" that looks pretty similar if not the same as "content
negotiation".

Another relevant issue may be also that Short-URIs are an interesting
concept themselves, but likely to be not much compatible with a vast
majority of current content management systems in the Web.

As Makx said we shouldn't forget URIs are for machines (and developers)
first and very few humans care about them.

All the above, my impression is that it may be worth to invest some more
time discussing on the overall approach before getting into some other
details.

Best,
 CI.

---