Re: APIs to work with data on the web

Hi All,

I listed some links of this thread:
How to Design a Good API & Why it Matters
https://www.youtube..com/watch?v=aAb7hSCtvGw<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAb7hSCtvGw>
http://ruben.verborgh.org/blog/2013/11/29/the-lie-of-the-api/
http://www.socrata.com/
Open Data Fragments (Ruben Verborgh) is a very interesting work too:
http://linkeddatafragments.org/

All these links talk about important features of APIs. As Joshua Bloch
pointed in his presentation, we have diverse APIs layers to build an
application. Today is very commom to develop a mashup using a set of APIs
to compose a final result. Even a SPARQL endpoint could be seen as an API
with a very flexible way of passing parameters to obtain some data as a
result.

The difference of Open Data Access APIs (I don't know what would be the
term) could be that the state of the world does not change(I know it is a
very strong assertion). We don't have tasks predefined. The requests are
only for data. The only "task" is to obtain data. All other kinds of tasks
would be implemented by applications built by developers or tools that use
Open Data Access APIs.

So we could think in this kind of APIs and think in what should be a very
basic set of funcionalities provided to the developers, considering all
types of Open Data.

The Use Case included by Deirdre is excellent to group all these issues.

It's a very good discussion.

Best Regards,
Laufer

--