Re: Data on the Web scope issue

From: Ghislain Atemezing <auguste.atemezing@eurecom.fr>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 10:24:23 +0100
Cc: public-dwbp-wg@w3.org
To: Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com>
Hi Makx,
Thanks for this proposal.

> Here a set of dimensions we may want to look at, and maybe choose from:
>
> Domains:
> E.g.
>          Base registers, e.g. addresses, vehicles, buildings;
>          Business information, e.g. patent and trademark information, public tender databases;
>          Cultural heritage information, e.g. library, museum, archive collections;
>          Geographic information, e.g. maps, aerial photos, geology;
>          Infrastructure information, e.g. electricity grid, telecommunications, water supply, garbage collection;
>          Legal information, e.g. supranational (e.g. EU) and national legislation and treaties, court decisions;
>          Meteorological information, e.g. real-time weather information and forecasts, climate data and models;
>          Political information, e.g. parliamentary proceedings, voting records, budget data, election results;
>          Social data, e.g. various types of statistics (economic, employment, health, population, public administration, social);
>          Tourism information, e.g. events, festivals and guided tours;
>          Transport information, e.g. information on traffic flows, work on roads and public transport.

Based on this nice view of catalogs worldwide published by RPI [1] , I can suggest that we have a special focus on Geographic information ,  imagery , transportation networks, statistics (in various domain) . Those domains per se have special different formats and can deal with variety, versioning and life span.

Best,
Ghislain

[1] http://logd.tw.rpi.edu/iogds_data_analytics