Re: Data on the Web scope issue

From: Eric Stephan <ericphb@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2014 18:34:49 -0800
To: Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com>
Cc: Public DWBP WG <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Makx,

I remember this question coming up and overall I really like this
breakdown.  Here are some suggested changes.

1) ORIGINAL:
         Meteorological information, e.g. real-time weather information
and forecasts, climate data and models;

SUGGESTED REPLACEMENT:
         Scientific information, e.g. observational, remote sensing,
instrument, informatics, visualization, analytics, and simulation

2) SUGGESTED ADD TO QUALITY

Quality:

         Corrected, Curated

         Context (quality important to some groups and not others?)

3) SUGGESTED ADD TO RATE OF CHANGE:

Rate of change:

E.g.

         Sensor streams (this is a catch all)

4) ADD: Data lifespan:

         Forever

         Data expiration

Eric

On Thu, Feb 13, 2014 at 12:18 PM, Makx Dekkers <mail@makxdekkers.com> wrote:

> Dear all,
>

> In last week's meeting we had some discussion about the scope of the
> working group. The issue that I brought up was: what do we mean by "data"?
> As far as I understand, the group is not a-priori limited but I think we
> may want to think about distinguishing data in several dimensions.
>

> Here a set of dimensions we may want to look at, and maybe choose from:
>

> Domains:
>
> E.g.
>
>          Base registers, e.g. addresses, vehicles, buildings;
>
>          Business information, e.g. patent and trademark information,
> public tender databases;
>
>          Cultural heritage information, e.g. library, museum, archive
> collections;
>
>          Geographic information, e.g. maps, aerial photos, geology;
>
>          Infrastructure information, e.g. electricity grid,
> telecommunications, water supply, garbage collection;
>
>          Legal information, e.g. supranational (e.g. EU) and national
> legislation and treaties, court decisions;
>
>          Meteorological information, e.g. real-time weather information
> and forecasts, climate data and models;
>
>          Political information, e.g. parliamentary proceedings, voting
> records, budget data, election results;
>
>          Social data, e.g. various types of statistics (economic,
> employment, health, population, public administration, social);
>
>          Tourism information, e.g. events, festivals and guided tours;
>
>          Transport information, e.g. information on traffic flows, work
> on roads and public transport.
>

> Obligation:
>
> E.g.
>
>          Data that must be provided to the public under a legal
> obligation, e.g. legislation, parliamentary and local council proceedings
> (dependent on specific jurisdiction);
>
>          Data that is a (by-)product of the public task, e.g. base
> registers, crime records.
>

> Usage:
>
> E.g.
>
>          Data that supports democracy and transparency;
>
>          Data that is the basis for services to the public;
>
>          Data that has commercial re-use potential.
>

> Quality:
>
> E.g.
>
>          Authoritative, clean data, vetted and guaranteed;
>
>          Unverified or dirty data.
>

> Size (ranging from small CSV files of less than a megabyte to potentially
> tera- or petabytes of sensor or image data)
>

> Type/format:
>
> E.g.
>
>          Text, e.g. legislation, public announcements, public
> procurement;
>
>          Image, e.g. aerial photos, satellite images;
>
>          Video, e.g. traffic and security cameras;
>
>          Tabular data, e.g. statistics, spending data, sensor data (such
> as traffic, weather, air quality).

                Data streams, e.g. statistics, spending data, sensor data