Re: dwbp-ISSUE-29: Clarify requirements on metadata

Hi,

Thanks for putting everything in context, Deirdre!

My take on this:

1. "available" can always be folded in other requirements. There's no way in bothering that metadata is machine-readable if it's not available in the first place. So we could have e.g.
'metadata should be machine-readable'
formulated as
'metadata should be made available in a machine-readable way'

2. Relevant metadata includes license, provenance and SLAs. So we could fold license, provenance and SLA as three requirements:
R-License: licenses should be made available as part of metadata
R-Provenance: provenance data should be made available as part of metadata
R-SLA: SLAs should be made available as part of metadata

3. Standardized implies interoperable, as per my position in the other thread.

If we follow this, so we'd end up with much fewer requirements:

R-FormatOpen
R-FormatStandardized
R-FormatMachineReadable

R-MetadataStandardized
R-MetadataDocumented (in principle 'standardized' implies 'documented' but I reckon that metadata may not always be standardized, in which case specific documentation should be made)
R-MetadataMachineReadable (btw I think it's not really productive to abbreviate names of requirements)
R-License
R-Provenance
R-SLA

R-VocabulariesOpen
R-VocabulariesDocumented

That's 11 instead of18 in the table.

This would even allows to fill the blanks in the grid, notably by adding:
R-MetadataOpen. There's not much point in closing data that allows access to the datasets. Even if the datasets are actually closed, it's absurd to to close the metadata that indicates it ;-)

I suspect we could add more requirements on vocabularies (standardized, machine-readable) but if these have not been identified in the use cases it's less obvious.

Best,

Antoine