Re: Does standardisation assume interoperability?

Dear Deirdre and All,

I was the one on the call who objected to the idea that "standardized"
entails "interoperable².

However, I would like to say that I think that the R-MetadataInteroperable
and R-LicenseInteroperable requirements may be too abstract, and it may be
better to qualify the R-MetadataStandardized and R-LicenseStandardized using
the notion of interoperability.

Currently in UCR we have:

R-MetadataStandardized
Metadata should be standardized
R-MetadataInteroperable
Metadata should be interoperable
R-FormatStandardized
Data should be available in a standardized format
R-LicenseStandardized
Standard vocabularies should be used to describe licenses
R-LicenseInteroperable
Data licenses should be interoperable

To solve the issue, I would propose to revised these requirements as
follows:

R-MetadataFormatStandardized
Metadata should conform to standard formats to facilitate metadata
interoperability
R-FormatStandardized
Data should conform to standard formats to facilitate interoperability
R-LicenseStandardized
Data about the license(s) attributed to a dataset should conform to standard
formats to facilitate interoperability

(renaming R-MetadataStandardized to MetadataFormatStandardized and
elimininating the *Standardized requirements)

About the whole ³machine readable² debate, it is of course a different
story:
http://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/track/issues/36

Similar to Makx, I find it hard to live with the sloppy ³machine readable²
qualificationŠ  but, in order to come to a constructive suggestion for this
other issue as well, perhaps we could say:

R-FormatMachineRead(able)
Metadata should conform to standard formats that aim at facilitating
automated processing

Regards,
Joćo Paulo