Does standardisation assume interoperability?

From: Lee, Deirdre <Deirdre.Lee@deri.org>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 14:43:18 +0000
To: 'Data on the Web Best Practices Working Group' <public-dwbp-wg@w3.org>
Hi,

We had a good call today, addressing many of the raised issues for UCR. One issue that we felt warranted more discussion was ISSUE-23: Review definition of interoperability https://www.w3.org/2013/dwbp/track/issues/23

The following questions were raised: Does standardisation imply interoperability? Are there cases where data uses standards, but is not interoperable? Can interoperability be achieved independent of standardisation? In DWBP, should we have a specific definition of interoperability?

In the UCR, there are the following two requirements:

*         R-MetadataInteroperable

*         R-LicenseInteroperable

And also

*         R-MetadataMachineRead

*         R-MetadataStandardized

*         R-LicenseMachineRead

*         R-LicenseStandardized

Possible resolutions for the UCR could be:

a.       Remove R-MetadataInteroperable and R-LicenseInteroperable from UCR because they're redundant

b.      Improve description of R-MetadataStandardized and R-LicenseStandardized

c.       Other?

Cheers,
Deirdre
Deirdre Lee