Re: Data Purposes

Dear All,
We (Axel, Javier, Elmar, Fajar, and Simon;) had a discussion today in
Vienna regarding Purpose Categories, and came up with some high-level
which are now in the wiki for discussion.
https://www.w3.org/community/dpvcg/wiki/Purposes_for_handling_Personal_Data#High-level_categories_.28to-be-discussed.29

On 09/12/18 9:51 PM, Harshvardhan J. Pandit wrote:
> Hello all,
> We discussed in the Vienna F2F about high-level purposes or dimensions
> using examples from MyData.
> Following that, on the 4th, we looked at Purposes as defined in Consent
> Receipt
> https://kantarainitiative.org/confluence/display/infosharing/Appendix+CR+-+V.9.3+-+Example+Purpose+Categories
>
> TIt discusses things such as core functions (legitimate interest???),
> contracted service (contract???), contact requested (communication),
> personalisation, marketing, marketing by third parties. However, the
> last few purposes are very abstract as to their use and application.
>
> I like the distinction of categorising purposes at a high-level based on
> how they relate to the controller and the data subject (a point which
> Bud raised in the F2F) i.e. which of them are essential, which are
> legal, and which are complimentary, or which does the user have control
> over.
> This would be separate from any other categorisation, such as basaed on
> domain or service.
> There are examples of this being used in some privacy policies (in the
> wild, so to speak) as well.
>
> Regards,

Harshvardhan J. Pandit
PhD Researcher