Gilman-9

From: Roland Merrick <roland_merrick@uk.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:15:23 +0000
To: Al Gilman <Alfred.S.Gilman@IEEE.org>, public-diselect-editors@w3.org
Cc: w3c-di-wg@w3.org
Greetings Al, thanks for your comments on the content selection last call
[1]. As part of this you include "Inconsistent show/hide policy".

The DIWG assigned this comment the identifier Gilman-9

This mail documents DIWG's response to your comments.

DIWG Response
=============

This issue is similar to Gilman-1. The problem we face is that an
unrecoverable error in expression processing yields completely
unpredicatble results, including XML that is invalid or badly formed.
Allowing processing to continue could lead to effects similar to those we
outlined in Gilman-1, including crashing or damaging the user's device, or
showing completely inappropriate material to a minor.

In contrast, the default value of the expr attribute is specified so the
behaviour obtained by omitting it is at least predictable.

In addition, by providing a default value, we ensure backwards
compatibility when DISelect is added to a processor which processes
existing markup written before the DISelect module was added.

[1]
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-diselect-editors/2005AprJun/0012.html

Regards, Roland