Re: Draft XG Charter

Paul Currion wrote:
> Hi Olle, thoughts below:
>
> Olle Olsson wrote:

>> How far can we go by talking about a basic technical framework for interoperability (formats and protocols)? A framework that enables interoperation between parties/stakeholders in whatever role they happen to be. A framework that is *politically* and *organizationally* *agnostic*. A framework that real stakeholders can find attractive, because it does not pose a threat to their existence.
>>
> I agree completely, but my question is really about who those
> stakeholders are, because I think that the international and domestic
> agencies are different groups that function in different ways.  As an
> example, the American Red Cross works completely differently in the
> context of an IFRC response than it does domestically - it's almost a
> different organisation.

I am mainly focusing on national organizations, as we (here in Sweden)
have to argue about positive national benefits -- what is the value for
someone in Sweden? Hence I regard Swedish agencies involved in emergence
management as stakeholders. They have to create an enabling system for
international engagements, where they have to cooperate with agencies
from other nations. But to optimize the value, whatever may emerge from
an XG should also be of value for purely national missions -- which is
where they do their ordinary business.

The way organisations work at a local/regional/national level may look
different from what they do in an international setting. But mostly,
information needs are not that dissimilar. Standards for interoperable
emergency management systems should be reusable  nationally  as well as
internationally.

Hence, I interpret "stakeholder" in this context as any organization
(typically some public sector entity)  that has a "national home base",
but can be expected to be engaged in major emergencies on on
international scale.

/olle

> ..... cheers
>
> Paul C

Olle Olsson   olleo@sics.se   Tel: +46 8 633 15 19  Fax: +46 8 751 72 30
	[Svenska W3C-kontoret: olleo@w3.org]
SICS [Swedish Institute of Computer Science]
Box 1263
SE - 164 29 Kista
Sweden