Re: "Show me the metadata!" :), was Re: Rough sketch for WP

From: Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2016 14:05:14 +0100
Cc: Dave Cramer <dave.cramer@hbgusa.com>, Peter Krautzberger <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, Michael Smith <mike@w3.org>
To: Marcos Caceres <marcos@marcosc.com>

> I'd still really would like to see this (visually) tho - specially in
> the use cases document. That is, it would be great to show _real_
> software (or even websites), and no hypotheticals tho.

I attach a screen dump coming from the Readium reader. You can list the books you have catalogued in that instance of Readium (in this case running in Vivaldi), and you can klick on the details of the particular book. You get what you see on the screen; the data all come from the metadata appearing in the corresponding EPUB's manifest. (Not all metadata are displayed, not sure why.) In particular, the number 978… is an identifier set by O'Reilly.

Not all ebook readers display that information; that is the choice of the individual reader app or software. As I said, not all readers display the _same_ information; but this falls under the differences among software.

Digital Publishing Lead
ORCID ID: http://orcid.org/0000-0003-0782-2704