"Show me the metadata!" :), was Re: Rough sketch for WP

On September 22, 2016 at 5:54:13 PM, Ivan Herman (ivan@w3.org) wrote:
> > > Put differently, can anyone show:
> >
> > * how I get to the ISBN of a book today(http://airmail.calendar/2016-09-22%2012:00:00%20GMT+10)
> downloaded in an eBook reader today(http://airmail.calendar/2016-09-22%2012:00:00%20GMT+10)?
> > * how an end-user would then use this identifier from within
> an eBook reader?
>
> The ISBN (or equivalent) is in what EPUB calls the package file
> which, in our parlance, is the manifest. It is one of the required
> metadata per EPUB.
>
> The term 'end-user' is a bit vague.

It's not. It's you and me - and other nice people who love to read
publications :)

> A reader like you and may not
> be interested by this, just as we would not look at the ISBN of a
> paper book. But the various reader software, catalogues, etc,
> that offer a 'bookshelf' like interface to the users may choose
> to display more information about a book, including its ISBN.
> Amazon is not a good example, because it uses proprietary format
> for ebooks, but similar side rely on the metadata in the EPUB manifest.

I'd still really would like to see this (visually) tho - specially in
the use cases document. That is, it would be great to show _real_
software (or even websites), and no hypotheticals tho.

See, for example:
https://www.w3.org/TR/wake-lock-use-cases/
https://www.w3.org/TR/netinfo-usecases

The above show actual usage of features that the web needs, based on
what real native apps do. Would be great if the use case document
could also include real examples, particularly of apps using the
metadata. If we can't find consumer products using the metadata, then
its utility (and any strong case for inclusion) becomes extremely
suspect.