Re: [mediaqueries] MathML

From: Florian Rivoal <florian@rivoal.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2016 23:33:04 +0900
Cc: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>, W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, Peter Krautzberger <peter.krautzberger@mathjax.org>
To: Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com>

> On Oct 4, 2016, at 01:27, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:
>
> That said, a mathml MQ could be useful also outside of the scope
> of digipub...

Good support for math on the web is desirable, and tools/APIs/CSS/... to help authors deploy content the right way is good to.

But the argument that was made (not by me, but I was reasonably convinced) is that such an MQ wouldn't actually help. If you think it would,
could you give some example scenario illustrating how that would work out?

- What kind of markup would you use
- What CSS would you write using that MQ
- What kind of user would benefit from this setup
- In what environment would this produce useful results
- Why this is better than alternative approaches

I am honestly asking. I am not a math expert, but I was just convinced by one that this was a bad idea. I am absolutely interested in seeing the counter argument (and will sort of need to understand it if I am supposed to spec this and put sane examples into the specification).

 - Florian