Re: [mediaqueries] MathML

Hi Florian,

Firstly I will like to thank you for giving the MathML issue such a good
attention.

There were many insights provided by the group in the informal meeting at
the end of the day. Some points that influenced the direction include.
- MQ idea is based on the assumption that browsers will provide perfect
visual appeal of MathML. But, right now browsers do not do so.
- All assistive technologies will support MathML. Many assistive
technologies support MathML right now, but as per the discussions in TPAC,
all of them are not perfect.

This is why the discussion led towards the variant of MQ> Copying the
section from your email:
"A variant of the MQ was proposed. It would instead mean that MathML was
supported AND that the user expressed explicit preference for MathML content
(via a setting of some kind). This would be useful in an accessibility
context for users who know the strengths and limitations of their
environment, and based on that make a judgment call that a MathML rendition
would serve them best. While this MQ wouldn't be wrong or harmful, it
doesn't really change the fact that MathML is not great for accessibility
and that there are better alternatives, and that implementations and
integration with screen readers are not great either, so it would not be
terribly useful."

We have not defined this variant of MQ yet, but some of the facts that
support it are:
- Publishers are already using MathML in their production workflow. But they
have to comment it due to lack of support on consumption side. so, MathML is
already available.
- JAWS and NVDA, the two most popular Windows screen readers support MathML.
It is also supported by Voiceover, but I remember the statement from Peter
that support in Voiceover is not up to the mark. So, assistive technology
support MathML. It would need some more refinements, but the support is
there.
- The variant of MQ also give an option to fall back to alttext if the
assistive technology does not support MathML.

We are carrying on the work of finding the right solution in EPUB
accessibility group, and we are optimistic that we will have a solution to
share with you.

With regards
Avneesh