Re: [mediaqueries] MathML

Hi Florian and all,

I second what Avneesh says.  However, I did take some notes although they are not complete as it is very hard to keep up with everyone when people talk over each other, and participating in a meeting like this ;)

Below are some notes I did take which I promised Peter, but I think what you recapped is pretty close to what I also remember from the meeting.

I also talk to a colleague Sue-Ann Ma here at Benetech who is the product manager for Math Support Finder
http://msf.mathmlcloud.org <http://msf.mathmlcloud.org/>
This work is not yet complete but so far all systems tested the visual rendering of the MathML is fine, I would be curious to see what Peter thinks of this if there are missing holes in the findings thus far which is skewing our understanding that visual MathML for the most part is good enough especially in the level of math we are talking about for K-12 publications.

---------
Rough notes from MathML in EPUB discussion Tuesday Sept 20 5PM - 5:45PM

ebook readers scripts don’t run mathml may not be supported fallback image in mathml fails

mathml and separate piece of info
and a media query to turn the right one on/off

Romain: declare media in Script
so direction to publisher include image with alt text and the alternative would be to render the mathml

AT might want to skip CSS display none (AT hides)

Alt-text for image.

css switching is ok the scripting part, why can’t the browsers support it?

if we are in an env. that support scripts

env. script where mathjax not supported and would return no.

Peter: browsers that switch that flag should switch that flag that supports it..

Either the browser supports it or the AT

Volker: will MQ override the hidden?
Peter: if JS flips the switch then the mathml will appear.

If you are in a scripting env. why can’t you just change the CSS with the script.

You can but but if you write it best one way.

as we encounter more situations like this could set a precidense.

Readium side can implement the MQ.

Romain: green light for CSS to work on spec.  who will implement in browsers?

Write community issue to support this for browsers.

George: publishers are commenting out the mathml and adding a image.
older browsers and RS that must show the image.  the math will be there and that image will be there for most of the time, but the math is there and AT could get.
HideMath visually but allow AT

add alt text to aria label with role math underneath.

display none
How would AT’s get math, they ignore role-math.
Edge only exposes AT DOM,

if publisher wants to have pixel perfect they will never want MathML since they have no control over the rendering.

MathML is in the content, couldn’t AT expose it

canvas: fallback
in canvas you have fallback but you can walk the whole DOM.
If we take a image  with fallback of mathml
Volker: we did this in chromvox looking for LATEX

MathJax use Wikipidea use server side hidden but accessibility AT

Mark: Image hide from AT aria-hidden attached to it and have visually hidden but 1 px hack.

Put mathml html attributes data-math
MQ: returns true if user says yes and there is Accessible Math (UA/AT says yes to math)

AT’s do they JS style access or some sort of Private Browser level.

Some AT’s have do this.  Some AT’s won’t do this.
external AT crawl things themselves could be real JS API available.
otherwise Browsers should have access to AT api to turn on/off math

(Unfortunately this is where I stopped and got more involved in the discussion)

Thanks
EOM

Charles LaPierre
Technical Lead, DIAGRAM and Born Accessible
E-mail: charlesl@benetech.org
Twitter: @CLaPierreA11Y
Skype: charles_lapierre
Phone: 650-600-3301