RE: Wiki summary of q element default styling issues

From: Tex Texin <textexin@xencraft.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2016 15:55:36 -0700
To: "'Kent Karlsson'" <kent.karlsson14@telia.com>, "'John Cowan'" <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>, <ishida@w3.org>
Cc: "'Asmus Freytag'" <asmusf@ix.netcom.com>, "'www International'" <www-international@w3.org>, "'W3C Digital Publishing IG'" <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
I am +0.8 in support for this.

I see that the q element has other uses than providing quote marks. For example, I use the q element (and CSS) to italicize and possibly color quoted text. So I don’t object to the element just its application of quote marks.
I would state more directly :

"Others believe that no single set of quote mark character conventions can meet all needs. Therefore the q element should always be used with a class which bears an explicit CSS quote property."

tex