Re: Expected behaviour of quotation marks

From: <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 2016 17:37:46 +0100
To: AUDRAIN LUC <LAUDRAIN@hachette-livre.fr>, Dave Cramer <dauwhe@gmail.com>
Cc: W3C Digital Publishing IG <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
On 07/04/2016 16:44, AUDRAIN LUC wrote:
> About quotations marks, here are some hints about French usage :
>
> Quotation marks are called « guillemets » and are used in typography for
> quotation.
>
> At first level, they are called French guillemets : « ... »
> At second level, they are called English guillemets and are written with
> these glyohs “ ... ”
>
> Exemples :
> * « Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté, luxe, calme et volupté. »
> * « L'ouvreuse m'a dit : “ Donnez-moi votre ticket. ” Je le lui ai donné. »

bonjour Luc,

yes, i did say in my initial email that i was basing the punctuation in
the examples on Canadian French rules (specifically, those specified for
fr-CA in CLDR). I did this to get a completely distinctive set of
punctuation to make the examples easier to read. But to be honest i
translated the passage from Room with a View into the French i know,
which is European, and in my markup i use fr rather than fr-CA just to
make it easier to read the example.

So, yes, take the examples with a pinch of salt per the character
details – the key question is actually about what how to proceed rather
than what characters to use for French.

cheers,
ri