Notes again

From: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2015 15:44:55 -0600
To: "public-digipub-ig@w3.org" <public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
First, please don't let this topic distract you all from your existing
important work!

As many of you will remember, I asked this group to provide
input/requirements about native support for footnotes / endnotes etc. in
HTML5 some time ago (January / Febriary 2015).  As far as I remember or can
determine, there was a lot of discussion but no cohesive set of
requirements that came out of this.  I know that since then there has been
a lot of work on role values and semantics that might help instrument notes
in various publications, but (again, as far as I can tell) nothing concrete
about how the base markup could be enhanced to support this important
feature set.

The HTML A11Y Task Force has a continuing interest in this topic from an
A11Y perspective, and of course from a base markup language perspective.
It resurfaced at the meeting this past week, and I set up a Wiki [1] where
we can gather requirements and input and see if there is critical mass for
an HTML extension.

I am trolling through our old discussions about this to pull in relevant
requirements that surfaced.  I will of course give credit when I can
determine from whom the requirement originated.  I encourage anyone
interested to take a look at the wiki chime in if you have additional
thoughts.

[1] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Notes

--
Shane McCarron