From: ahby@aptest.com<mailto:ahby@aptest.com> [mailto:ahby@aptest.com] On Behalf Of Shane McCarron
Sent: Saturday, November 21, 2015 4:45 PM
To: public-digipub-ig@w3.org<mailto:public-digipub-ig@w3.org>
Subject: Notes again

First, please don't let this topic distract you all from your existing important work!

As many of you will remember, I asked this group to provide input/requirements about native support for footnotes / endnotes etc. in HTML5 some time ago (January / Febriary 2015).  As far as I remember or can determine, there was a lot of discussion but no cohesive set of requirements that came out of this.  I know that since then there has been a lot of work on role values and semantics that might help instrument notes in various publications, but (again, as far as I can tell) nothing concrete about how the base markup could be enhanced to support this important feature set.

The HTML A11Y Task Force has a continuing interest in this topic from an A11Y perspective, and of course from a base markup language perspective.  It resurfaced at the meeting this past week, and I set up a Wiki [1] where we can gather requirements and input and see if there is critical mass for an HTML extension.

I am trolling through our old discussions about this to pull in relevant requirements that surfaced.  I will of course give credit when I can determine from whom the requirement originated.  I encourage anyone interested to take a look at the wiki chime in if you have additional thoughts.

[1] https://www.w3.org/WAI/PF/HTML/wiki/Notes

--
Shane McCarron